Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I've been doing some thinking?
In little less then a month I am going to start my senior year of college.  Only two semesters to go before I graduate.  The thought literally scares me but I digress.  I am  a semester away from finishing up my History major and a few credits short of a journalism minor.  So, am I crazy to even be thinking of applying to the J school this semester?  I am so close to being done.  I should be thinking of getting my resume in order and looking for full time employment, not adding another major.  I have several different theories. 
1. I really don't want to graduate because that means, I really have to be an adult.  The end of financial help from my parents, working full time, dealing with insurance and all the other responsibilities that comes with being an Adult.  Now, don't miss understand me.  I have been paying rent and my own bills for more then two years now but I do not feel like I'm completely independent of my parents yet and I like having that safety net. 
2. Now that I am almost finished with school I realize how much I actually enjoy it.  I did not believe people when they say that I would miss school after I graduate but I'm beginning to understand.  I enjoy being in the class room with people of the same interests.  I am not the best student when it comes to doing homework and I always seem to wait for the last minute to write papers but I love to research things.  That truly is my favorite part.  Give me a subject and I'll go look it up.  Academia and I have not always got along and I doubt that I could ever be a student for the rest of my life.  I don't think I'll be going to graduate school anytime soon but I know I will miss college.
3. After spending my first three years of College having absolutely no idea of what I wanted to do with my life, I think I have finally decided what I want to do.  I would really love to be a tennis journalist.  Cover the sport around the world.  That would be cool.  If not specifically tennis, a sports journalist.  Journalism used to be a field that you didn't need specific training to be a journalist.  You learned as you went but it's become a better science.  If I am truly serious about working as a journalist, it would benefit me to take the journalism course.  So, I think.
It's times like this that I wish I was more serious about studies my first couple of years of school because my gpa is not exactly stellar.  If anything, that is what is going to hurt me when I apply for the J school but I think I have had enough experience working as a journalist at tennis tournaments.  If I am accepted, I figure that I will only have another year of school to complete it.  I only have a semester left for my History degree and I because I am minoring in Journalism already, I have already taken some classes and all of my Gen Ed's are completed.  So, all I would have left would be the required labs. 
Maybe this will work out and maybe it won't but I'm going to try.  Who knows, maybe I'll go through all the program and find out it was unnecessary or maybe I will find out that it was will with my time.  Who knows.  I'm just finally happy that I have made up my mind about a career to pursue.  That's a step up for me.


No comments: