Saturday, September 06, 2008

Waiting for Hanna

I have a pretty nice view of the Manhattan skyline from my apartment but it is so overcast that I can't even see it. Not even an outline of the skyline. Obviously, this is just the first act of Hanna for us in New York. We had rain last night around midnight but apparently that is just the warm up for today. We are supposed to get slammed today but not as hard as the Carolinas, so no complaints from me. It's kind of funny. Just last week, I was talking to my new coworkers about weather and how living in the Midwest has prepared me for a lot of different weather related catastrophes but hurricanes kind of scare me. Like Tornadoes do not scare me as much as I know they should. I did have a minor freak out about the floods because it was a lot closer to my apartment then I ever thought the flood waters would get. I have been through several snow storms, thunder storms, hail, wind, heat and humidity. You name it, if you have ever lived in the Midwest for any amount of time, you have lived though it but hurricanes is a whole new thing. My coworkers found my revelation funny. Why I don't know? Apparently hurricanes don't scare them either or really any kind of weather disaster, they are more concern with terrorist attacks then anything that a hurricane or tornado could do to them. Well, that really didn't soothe my fears but just give me more. Thanks a lot Justine!

So here we are, a week later, with Tropical Storm Hanna. I am pleased that she is no longer a hurricane but she is still going to wreck havoc here. Brooklyn is actually below sea level, so flooding is a possibility. I'm not so worried for my apartment because Sunset park is the highest point in Brooklyn and I am only a block away but I really don't want to go through that again. I have food and coke and the day off so I'll be fine for today. I close tomorrow night so I don't have to leave here until after 3pm. I can only hope that will give the city enough time to dry out because I have no idea if the subways will flood or not or whatever. So, today I'm just going to stay in and hope for the best.

No comments: