Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Buffalo Bisons, or the Ricky Ricardo of mascots.

I'm glad to be home but at the same time I wish I was still hanging out with Kat but sadly she leaves to far away. At least this time she is only an hour and half flight away instead of 8 or 9 and I don't have to cross an ocean to get to her so that's an improvement.

On Friday, I left way to early to get to the JFK airport. According to mta.info trip planner it would take me about 1hour and 36 minutes to get from my apartment to JFK by subway/train. This also included a stop over in Manhattan. I found this absolutely ridiculous because, for those who don't know, JFK is in Queens and I live in Brooklyn. Brooklyn and Queens share the same island, so if I went the way they told me I would have to cross the bridge to Manhattan for 1 stop to come back the bridge into Brooklyn. Does that make sense? I know that is just how things work here. To get the tennis center in August, I did have to do that. Crazy! Anyway, I found another way that kept me in the same isle and took about the same amount of time. I just had to take an extra train. I get to JFK way too early but that's better then being late. Now, if you have a chance to fly Jetblue, do! They were awesome! They don't have a first class, so all those seats are taken out and everyone else's seat is moved up giving more leg room. I have short legs but it was still appreciated. Plus, every seat has it's own screen where you can watch 43 channels of Direct TV (including the Big 10 Channel Iowa fans) and XM radio. I didn't bring my headphones with me but I did watch ESPN. You really don't need sound to watch sports highlights. It's pretty self explanatory.

When I arrived in Buffalo, Kat was already there. She's such a good sister. We immediately go to the Original Pancake House and I got an omelet that was as big as my head. Oh yeah, it was good. Then We went this posh grocery store called Wegman's. The original plan for Friday night was our friend Elizabeth (who I haven't seen in like 3 years) and her girlfriend Becky were going to come over to make Scotch Eggs but Elizabeth was sick so that didn't happen. Well, as fate would have it, the snacks we bought would be perfect for us to take the drive-in. I can't even remember the last time I went to a drive-in movie theater. We saw a double feature of Eagle Eye (love me some Shia!) and the Dark Knight. It was great. We had to get some hot chocolate from the concessions stand because a) they guilt you into it and b) we were cold. It would have been nicer though, if the hot chocolate was hotter but I guess you can't have everything. Anyway, That was Friday.

Saturday, we both slept in to noon. I have to say, I didn't mean too but it had been so long since I had got a chance to sleep in because I have doing a lot of opens. So it felt good. That feeling didn't last long because Linda my landlord called and asked if I left any of water fixtures running. Of course this freaks me out because I could remember checking everything but what if I forgot something you know? It turns out that my toilet's flush master (whatever she called it, the handle) was stuck in flush mode so my toilet was constantly flushing. Even though everything turned out all right, it still freaked me out. So, to cheer me up we had to see some penguins. The Niagara Aquarium has penguins, as well as Seals and Sea Lions. There is a difference as Squirt the Sea Lion demonstrated to us. When you walk into the Aquarium, the first thing you see is the Penguins, Humboldt Penguins, and front and center were these two penguins going at it. We were like, are they really, oh yeah, they really are. It was funny. Kat and I will admit that when it comes to aquariums, we are spoiled but it was still a nice but small aquarium. Next we decided we would drive to Canada instead of walk across the bridge. After a series of questions, we were let into Canada and found a parking space. The Niagara falls is Big and Massive. You have to use both words to describe it because its truly Big and MASSIVE. We had lunch at this restaurant called the Edgewater's which is across the street from the Falls. Beautiful! From there we walked down the street to the Hershey's and Coke stores and had dessert and then home. Well, Canadians obviously don't want you to leave quite so early or they like fucking with Americans who have no idea where they are going because we followed the signs back to the US borders but they kept sending us around in circles until eventually we did get across the borders. The very attractive US guard pretty much asked us the same questions as his Canadian chum so we knew what to expect this time. We get home and are pretty tired. Why, we have no idea because we did sleep in until noon, mind you. Oh, well. We settled in and then decided to play our new favorite game of Camp Rock drinking game. Oh, yes Camp Rock!

Sunday, again slept in later then we intended. I wanted to go to Sephora. I know there are Sephora's in New York but they are all in Manhattan and I just don't get there that often so I figured since there are things I need from there, this was the best chance to go. After that we met up with Elizabeth, who was feeling better and pretty much hung out for the rest of the day. It was kind of like all day, just chatting way, playing with her cats and just having a good time. We made the scotch eggs. For those you don't know, a scotch egg is a hard-boiled egg, wrapped in sausage and then bread crumbs and baked. So good, finally the Scots have come up with something tasty! They were delicious!

Monday, Kat got up early to do homework. I got up a little bit later to pack. She went to class and I walked around the University at Buffalo. It's a nice a campus but it kind of reminded me of a business park. After that, we went to Anderson's for roast beef and then I came home.

So that was my weekend. I miss Kat already but she will be here for Thanksgiving! Yippee! I can not wait. I'll have to find a turkey!

No comments: