Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Schadefreude!

Sometimes it's the little things that make me happy. Like watching someone trying to parallel park or the latest Oprah book not being all that it is supposed to be. Ok, so maybe they aren't on the same level but they both make me smile a bit. I do respect Oprah. I think she does some wonderful things and her rags to riches story is (for lack of a better word) inspiring but I don't really like her. I find her to be a egomaniac. I mean, does she have to be on the cover of every single issue of her own magazine? Does she have to publicize every charity event she does? It's great that she wants to help her viewers lose weight and redecorate their homes but does she have to force on them. I think what bothers me the most is that she has such a loyal fan base that they will do anything she tells them too. They are nothing but clones. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad they will read it, buy it or wear it. It's just sad.

Which brings me to her latest book club selection, A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. It's supposed to be a biography of how Mr. Frey gets himself over his many addictions. Well, it turns out that some of his "life" is made up. Apparently, in his "memoirs" he talks about a time when he assaulted a police officer in Ohio and incited a riot. Well, this was news to the police department that was supposed to happen. Oops. So the lesson here for everyone is if your going to fabricate some of your life, don't let your book be selected for Oprah's book club because it will be become a best seller because her lemmings will buy it in bulk and then people will look up your police record and find out you are lying. Wow, that was a really long sentence.

No comments: