Saturday, January 07, 2006

So, I have made an important decision.

I am moving. I like Iowa City but it's time to move on. After I passed over for the second time for a promotion at work, I was really low. The first thought that crossed my mind is that nobody wants me. I have been sending out resumes and applying to varies companies and nothing has come out of them. What I really want to do is a radio producer but I keep being told that I don't have enough experience. Even when I had applied for an internship they said I didn't have enough experience. For a freaking' internship! That is what they are designed for is to gain experience. So, being passed over again and given the same excuse as the time before was the last straw. Being told that I had all the qualifications and that I could do the job did make the let down any easier. Ok, it is true that I have no intentions of working for Barnes and Noble for the rest of my life and retail is not my career goal but I do a good job and I kind of feel like because I am responsible and reliable that I taken for granted some times.

This is all going to change because I am moving. Iowa City may not be the city for me. I think my boss has done me a favor. I never intended to stay here as long as I have. For one thing, when my dad accepted the job in Iowa, we were under the impression that we would only be here for about two years. 10 years later we are still here. When I was a senior in high school, I was going to apply to colleges out of state but since I didn't know what I wanted to study it didn't make sense for me to pay out of state tuition when I could pay in state. So I decided that I would get all of my Gen Ed's out of the way and transfer after two years. Two years came and went and then I thought well, I'm half way done. I might as well finish here and save my money so I could move after I graduated. I did that in May, so really the only thing that is keeping me here is me. I am tired of holding myself back. So, I'm going to finish out my lease on my apartment and then move. That gives me seven months to find a job and an apartment in Chicago and get out of this state! First time in a long time I feel good. I know I will miss the people I work with and the people I know here but it's not like I'm going far away or anything like that. I need to do this. I need to do something different with my life. I need to see if I am able to live on my own. I need to see if I can take care of myself. I know I can do it, I just need to do it. So come August, when you want to see me you will have to come to Chicago! I'll have the couch waiting for you.

1 comment:

F. Radcliffe said...

Good for you, Lloyd Coltrane. Bravo. Chicago's a great town and you're a great person. Could you ask for a better combo? Keep that couch open for me.