Saturday, January 28, 2006

Where were you?

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Challenger explosion. I vaguely remember it happening being that I had just turned 3 years old the month before it happen. I don't know if I actually remember mom sitting my sister and I down to watch a replay to explain what happen or if I have just heard my sister tell the story so many times that I think I remember it. It was definitely one of those events that people ask the question, "Where were you?" For my parents generation and older, it is "Where were you when John F. Kennedy was murdered?" I guess for is it's either, "Where were you when Princess Diana died?" or "Where were you on September 11?" Whatever the day is, supposedly it's one of those events that is supposed to bring us together, right. Something that we are all supposed to have in common because one way or another we all experienced the same thing.

So where was I? I was coming up the stairs to go to bed and to say good night to mom when Princess Diana died. She was flipping channels and came across one of the news channels reporting about it. First they were saying that Diana was just sent to the hospital with a broken arm and 20 minutes later she was dead. There was mom and I crying over someone we had never met. Years later, I was getting on the bus to go back to my dorm room. People were talking about how a plane had just crashed into the U.N. building. I really wasn't paying attention but I made a point to turn on the TV when I got back to my room. I got back just in time to see the second plane crash into the second tower. It was so surreal, like a movie. That's where I was. Where were you?

No comments: