Monday, March 13, 2006

You can call this an occupational hazard but when I REALLY like a book I feel it is my duty to tell the world. Ok, not the world but my friends and family. In the last month I have read two such books, so here you go.

Hot Animal Love by Scott Bradfield. This was recommended by my roommate Sarah and it's brilliant. It is a collection of short stories that explore different aspects of love and relationships. The best one is called "Penguins for Lunch" and not just because I love penguins but because it's a great story. It alone is worth picking up a book.

The People's Republic of Desire by Annie Wang. I just finished it last night after starting it Saturday. I usually don't read books that fast but I really couldn't put it down. It was an advanced copy sent to the store and to be honest what caught my eye is the cover is mostly pink and I really like the color pink. After reading the back cover, I thought it was going to be Sex in the City: China. In same ways it was that. It followed 4 women who live in Beijing and their various relationships but it was deeper then Sex in the City. It was almost like a culural study of women in modern China. While the women in the story were trying to figure out where they fit in the new China, China itself is trying to figure out where they fit in with the rest of the world. It was really interesting.
So there are my books of the moments. I know they are not for everyone but if you have some free time you should pick one of them up to read.

No comments: