Wednesday, June 14, 2006

You're so Stupid!

I hear a lot of stupid things when I'm at work. Sometimes it is a customer question but every once in a while I over hear someone say something so idiotic that makes my mouth drop. The other day, I was working in the travel section when a woman and a man came to look for travel guides. I was currently pdting the African/Asian guides and couldn't really see what they were looking at but the woman told the man that she was going to go to Greece but then she realized that everything was going to be in Greek. When I heard that I stopped what I was doing to digest what I just head. Did she just say she wasn't going to Greece because everything was going to be in Greek? They speak Greek in Greece. What does she want everything to be in English every where she goes? That definitely limits where she can go and anyway, no matter where you go in the world in most touristy areas the people will speak passable English. And this is the kind of person that wouldn't dare go beyond the touristy areas. God forbid she actually experience the country they are visiting. Now, the man and the woman were looking at the European guides. So, I hope she is going to France and tries to speak English every where she goes and the French treat her like shit!

I wish the stupid remarks I hear were limited just to work but sadly that is not true. Last week, I went to get my hair cut. (btw, my hair is really cute now!) I was a little early so sat in the waiting area with everyone else who were waiting too. I picked out ESPN the Magazine to read because it had a preview of the World Cup. I'm mucho excited about the World Cup. A little bit more excited then, then I am now after the US bombed it's first game but whatever. On the Cover it said "Futbol" instead of football. The woman next to me saw that and said "They spelled that wrong." I looked at her and I'm sure I didn't a terrible job of disguising my disgust at her ignorance. I said It depended on what language you were speaking. Luckily Nicole, my stylist was ready for me and that ended that conversation. Yes, that major magazine misspelled a word on it's cover. Come on Lady. Soccer is an international sport that is more popular outside the US then in it. They were just reflecting that. I couldn't believe this woman said that but at least me and my friends have got some good laughs out of it and other stupid things people say.

No comments: