Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Aren't you the one who said you can't live without your car?"

The one thing that has been the most to get used to here is not having my own car. The subway is nice and all but it's just crazy to me that it takes me 20 minutes to go a mile and a half. I'm just so used to if I want to go somewhere, all I had to do was get in my car and drive but now I have to figure out which subway line I need and how long it's going to take me to there. And it I have to watch what I buy because I have to get back on the subway to get it home. It's just not what I'm used to. It was suggested to me that I could take a taxi home so I can buy bigger items but that can get expensive and Brooklyn is not Manhattan. We do have cabs here but they are not as present as they are in Manhattan. Like in my neighborhood, I may see 1 taxi at a time driving around instead of the thousands that you see in the city, so really it could take a while to hail a taxi. So, it's a complication but not a major one. I can adjust. It turns out I can live without a car.

Yesterday, I took myself to see Tropic Thunder. So Funny! Now, this is not something I am going to do often because it was $7.50 for a matinee show but my cable doesn't get hooked up until tomorrow morning. Right now I get Fox, NY1 (a 24 hour news channel of just New York news) and a very blurry NBC (very inconvenient for watching the Olympics) so entertainment is on a low around here. So, I went to the movies. Now, I have to figure out the subway, either I am super early to places or just make it. It's all in the timing. If I make it to the station and the train is there, I'm going to be early, if I have to wait for the train I'll be on time. I think there is an art to riding the subway that I haven't mastered yet but I have only been here a week.

No comments: