Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Why does it have to be so difficult?

This finding a place to live thing is really stressing me out. I don't think I'm mature enough to handle this. I spent most of the day calling people about possible apartments and for the most part left disappointed. It's not because there are not apartments available. On contrary, there are a lot of apartments available in the Iowa City area but not what I want. Of all the people I talked to only one complex has a 1 bedroom apartment that allows cats. I don't have a cat yet but my friend Elizabeth's uncle breeds Maine Coon cats. One of his mama cats needs a good home and I was hoping to provide that for her but now I don't know. This apartment is one of the higher priced apartments and there is a pet fee on top of the rent. So, now the question I am asking myself is my want for a cat is more then my desire for something else? If I have a cat, what am I willing to give up? But the best question is can I really afford to have a cat? I've never lived alone before so I thought having a cat would help with the loneliness of not having a roommate and really I have wanted my own cat since I moved out of my parents house. I love our cat, Mittens but she lives in Marion and I only get to see her once and while. I miss having a cat sleep with you at night and wake you up in the morning and snuggling with you as you watch TV. But then again, I have lived 5 years without a cat, I can wait another year right? I'm so confused. Maybe it will be a good idea to see how I do by myself for a year. I can see how much money I have left over every month. Maybe I will have enough to keep a cat and maybe I won't. Now I have all these options but none of them is really what I want. I really don't know what to do. Maybe moving back home isn't such a bad idea after all. Oh, wait. Yes it is.

4 comments:

Soumik said...

i can empathise, as a fellow apartment searchee ( i have no feline constraints though)..but at least we got the whole of summer to trudge through ad sheets and the works..

bookboy said...

I vote for the cat. They have a way of changing your reality. The fee, food and liter is a small price to pay, for the releationship the that will take place. A Maine Coon is one in a million like you are, you have the power to change both your lives. What is all this waiting about, are we waiting to live or are we waiting to die. Go boldly.

Anonymous said...

Cats=love. Landlords=pain-in-the-ass. I sympathize with the whole needing an apartment that takes cats thing. Not sure why all the landlords are so anti-cat. I'm really lucky I could afford to buy (well mortgage) my condo so I could have my fur babies. If you need some cat sleep, I've got a futon you could borrow for a nap or two. I'm sure Chaucer and Dante will share :)

Anonymous said...

Um...the "anonymous said" was me - it took me a bit to realize that "enter" meant "publish" - Melissa