Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday!

The day after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday in the retail world because it is the biggest sales day of the year. Or at least it has been in the past. Today is going to be hella busy but I think the biggest sales day of the year now falls on the Saturday before Christmas. You know, the final weekend for all those procrastinators to shop. Yeah. Anyway, Today is Black Friday and I am currently mentally preparing myself to go to work. I still have another 3 hours before I have to report to work and every minute that goes by makes me more anxious. To be perfectly honest it's not as bad as people think it is. Yes, it is busy and crazy and there is a lot of people walking around asking stupid questions but this is only the beginning. I mean it's still early. People will have some of the Thanksgiving glow on them and will be a little bit more patient and nice but as the season goes on, they start to get cranky and well, just plain mean. I rather work today then that last Saturday before Christmas or even Christmas Eve. Nothing says, Good will towards all men then have have a book thrown at you on Christmas Eve. See, what I mean, people get me. But enough about that. I'm sure I will have more rants later in the season so I will save those for later. Today is Black Friday. Our store has been open since 6am. The openers have been there since 4:30am! and will be long gone by the time the closers (me) comes in at 3pm. Now I much rather close on a day like this then open because I think it's better to be incredibly busy when I first get there and it be slow at night then the other way around. To me it just makes the day go faster. Plus, there is always the possibility of going out for beer after! I think I'm supposed to be a line supervisor, which is the worst job in the world because you have to stand at the front of the line, ask the customers if they have a membership card, if they need gift cards and gift receipts and so on and so on. I feel like I am really wasted here. It should be someone new or at least someone who is slow on the registers and info. I should be out there on the floor helping customers. Not only do I work 40 hours a week and know what displays are up and where they and what is on most of them I AM A LEAD! If they don't want me to be at info, then put me on a register. I know I can ring faster then all of the new hires! I think this makes sense. On one of our busiest days of the year, we should be highlighting our best people and not just throw anyone anywhere to fill up space. I know schedules are difficult to make but to me this is just common sense. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it now but do the best I can in whatever role they give me. And to all of you still planning on going shopping today DON'T! Or at least wait until later tonight when it isn't so crazy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand your line supervisor rant. I never understood why they put the head cashier there when I was the one who would have to jump behind the register to do returns and exchanges and then my line would get all messed up. It seemed stupid then and it seems stupid now. God I miss BN Christmas except for the fact that I went to work at 8 this morning and took off at noon cuz we were so not busy in the department. Now...I'm going to go shop! hahahaha! My retail life has come full circle! Enjoy work tonight and enjoy a few beers when its all over!

-Lisa
P.S. Why did the store open so early? Thats insane!

RonMexico said...

The retail store that I picked up my holiday job at opened at 4am! I had to report to work at 3:30am to make sure everything was ready to go. It was insane! The only good thing was i dont know that 10 hours has ever gone by so quickly!

RM