Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today is Thanksgiving. I'm sure you all know that but it was a good opening. I guess John, Kat's boyfriend, fiance or roommate (whatever he is for this week) has gone around telling his friends in Wales that Thanksgiving is "Like Christmas but without the presents". Well I guess that is true in some sense right? But Katharine has been trying to set them right but once she gets the the pilgrims and the Indians, the Welsh ask why we, Americans, would have a holiday celebrating the slaughter of the American Indians. And that's not true. That is not what Thanksgiving is about. Yes, if you know our history, we haven't always been fair or gracious to the American Indians and we will have to deal with that and really I wish that the story of the Pilgrims and the Indians was never introduced in the holiday because it has only really distracted from the true meaning of the holiday. Thanksgiving is about being thankful. Thankful for the friends and family in your life and getting together and celebrating those unions and relationships. Thanksgiving is about being thankful for the gifts in one life. Most of us are not living the lives that we have hoped but for most of us we have so many other great things going on in lives to be thankful for. Thanksgiving gives us a chance to stop and look around. Most of us are so busy with jobs, family, and friends that we often lose track of what is most important in life. Of course there is irony in having Thanksgiving being the kick-off for the Holiday shopping season and all that good will and thankfulness will go out the window come tomorrow morning but let's leave that for another time.
So in the spirit of the holiday, please indulge me this little tradition of going around the table and telling each other what we are thankful for. I'll go first. :-)
I am thankful for my family. My parents and my sister Katharine. They are my rocks and my strength. They have support me and love me. I truly enjoy spending time with them whether it is going shopping with me, watching boxing or other sports with dad or just hanging out with Katharine laughing and doing something silly. I love them and I am grateful everyday for them. Thank You
I am thankful for my friends. I am blessed to have them in my life. They make going to work worth it. They make every day things seem fun and make me laugh. They are amazing and I love them! Thank You

I am thankful for my job. Yes at times it is frustrating and I am really underpaid but it also allows me to pay my bills and live a comfortable life. I may not have a lot of extra cash at the end of the month but I do not have to worry about if I am going to have enough cash to pay my bills every month. It has also introduce me to some of the most important and amazing people in my life. The friendships that I have developed through my job makes all the cranky customers, corporate bill shit, and annoying coworkers worth it. And for that I am really thankful.
This next one might sound superficial at first but I am thankful for the Internet. It has allowed me to talk to my friends and family faster and easier then before. I mean how else would I in Iowa be able to ask my sister in Katharine to get Jeremiah's address in California if it wasn't for the Internet? It keeps me connected with my friends and my favorites sports, entertainment and news. It is a lot of things but I see only the positives!

I am thankful for being me. I know I don't have a lot but I know I have more then a lot of people in the world. I need to learn to be happy with what I have not to wish for things that are out of my control. I am thankful for all the people in my life. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope today is a nice relaxing day. And remember all the things you have to be thankful tomorrow when you are out doing your Christmas shopping!

No comments: